“I oftentimes was in the gym a combined time of three hours a day. Also, the sessions that Amanda and Dave did with me were grueling.”
Viewing entries in
In an effort to get to know our members better, we asked Billi to answer a few questions.
Where are you from? Rockville, MD
When did you start at CFF? August 2015
What is your favorite time to workout at CFF? 8:00 AM
Did you work out before starting at CFF? Not really.
What form of exercise were you into? I would walk/run or do an aerobic video. I’m old school.
What’s your favorite color? Pink and Black
Do you like the mountains or the beach? the beach
What is your favorite dessert? Lemon bars
What is your favorite holiday? Christmas
What is your favorite food to eat at a picnic? hot dogs
Do you drink coffee or tea? coffee
Do you have any pets? 3 dogs – WaWa is a Chihuahua, Yewbee is a Labradoodle, and Tink is a Yorkie. Also 2 ferrets – Tater and Rufus.
If you could have a superpower, what would it be and why? I would like to be able to fly. That way I wouldn’t have to wait in traffic and could always get to where I wanted to go quickly.
Do you have any interesting /unique/special skills? I play the drums.
Is there anything else you would LOVE to share? I’ve been married almost 25 years and have 3 kids. 22 year old twins, Samm and Andi, and Rion who is 14.
For what are you thankful? Family. My family is so important to me and I wouldn’t be able to make it through this crazy world without them. Oh…and wine.
1. Where are you from? Stettler, Alberta, Canada
2. Time you normally work out at CFF: 8:00AM
3. Accomplishment you are proud of: Spartan Races, travel
4. Skill or movement you are working to perfect: Hanging muscle up
5. Favorite exercise/WOD: I like them all. If I had to pick, legs.
6. What got you into CrossFit? I was bored with the gym. I tried the trainer route, but wanted something different, and I like Spartan Races, so I thought I would try CrossFit.
7. What is your “why”? Why do you do CrossFit? I want to gain upper body strength and compete in Spartan Races and I also want to master kite boarding.
8. What is your occupation? I own and am president of a construction company.
9. What is your dream job? What I do.
10. What do you do to relax? I snow ski, water ski, play with my daughter, and golf.
11. Favorite place to vacation and why: Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. My wife is from there.
12. Favorite cheat food: Chocolate cake
13. If you could be a character from a TV show or movie, who would it be and why? Tom Brady—he’s a sports figure, but the guy is a master of his craft, the ultimate professional, internally driven to be the very best.
14. What is playing on your music player right now? Airborne Toxic event, Imagine Dragons, Lumineers
15. Any hobbies/activities? In addition to #10 above, I play hockey and ride my Harley V-Rod.
16. What is something we probably didn’t know about you? I’m color blind, from Canada, and grew up on a 2,500 acre grain farm.
17. Any pets? I have a dog, a cat, and a fish.
18. Favorite toy as a child: motorbike
19. What is something you did as a child that got you in trouble? I was playing with fire with my cousin and nearly burnt the entire yard, barn, house, and machine shed down. My dad was really mad!
20. What cancelled TV show or movie would you like to see back on the air or a remake made of? Three’s Company, Gilligan’s Island, Cold Mountain
21. What else is cool/interesting/different about you? My dry jokes (my wife may not agree, haha)
22. Do you have a story of overcoming adversity that you’d like to share? In October of 2005 1 was in Guatemala when Hurricane Stan hit the country. As far as hurricanes go, it wasn't a huge hurricane but it was devastating, especially to a country with poor infrastructure. I was in a town called Malacatan, which was surrounded by rivers. The hurricane destroyed all the bridges except 1, which was so damaged you could only walk out. I knew it would be weeks before I would get out of that town so I abandoned all of my extra things I had and walked out of the town. Through a series of mud slides and road destruction it took me over a day of hiking to get to a road that wasn't destroyed. I made many new Guatemalan "friends" along the way who were pretty intrigued by this Gringo hiking in their 1/2 devastated country. Finally we got to where the road was not destroyed and I hitched a ride in the back of a pickup truck to take me to Guatemala City. I spent 8 hours at night in the back of a pick up and finally made it to Guatemala City. It was definitely an adventure that was sad to see many people who suffered but was a pretty amazing obstacle to overcome and survive.
23. Tell us a funny incident that you experienced? I was waterskiing a few years ago and there was a whole group of people in the boat. As I came out of the water, I noticed them laughing but had no idea why. Eventually I figured out that somehow my swim trunks had ripped in two and had nearly come right off. Not sure if that was funny or embarrassing, but I'm starting to think it is funny now!
Why do I CrossFit? CrossFit Frederick challenges me every day! I never thought I would be “power snatching,” rope climbing, and attempting pull-ups. I typically attend the 8:00 and 9:00 am classes, joining CFF after I retired two years ago from teaching public school, a job I enjoyed immensely. I was fortunate and slightly crazy to have had the opportunity to teach all three levels; elementary, middle, and high school! However, my favorite group has to be the crazy middle school students because they finally understand sarcasm. Maybe this is why I like CFF so much?!
I grew up in Michigan on the many lakes, great and small. My all time favorite place to vacation is “Up North” in Glen Arbor, Michigan next to the Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes. This area also has the BEST cherry pie ever! Spending a day outdoors is my happy place. I like to sail in fair weather, and hit the ski slopes when the snow falls. My favorite places to ski are Utah and Colorado. There is nothing more refreshing after skiing all day than to soak in a hot tub, jump in a pile of snow to cool off, and then back into the hot tub without knocking over a beverage of choice. Maybe Amanda and Dave would consider this as a new winter WOD?! I also enjoy hiking, having just completed the entire 41 miles on the Appalachian Trail in Maryland, with plans to hike into Pennsylvania next. My husband, Martin and I like to hike Sugarloaf Mountain on the weekends, but during the week, my two dogs, Tiller and Hobie, are my faithful hiking pals.
I am most proud of my family, daughters Kristina and Lisa, and my three grandchildren, at ages 8, 6, and 2. Watching the grandkids is a REAL workout! My plan this new year is to focus on making at least one pull-up and stringing together double unders.
Just a few reminders:
The Great Pumpkin Run registration fee increases on 8/21, so register now to save. The race is November 5. Remember to register under the CrossFit Frederick social team.
The Lurong Challenge registration fee increases on 8/22. Get in now while the rate is still low. This fitness and diet challenge runs from 9/12 to 10/30.
Gabby is back from vacation and yoga resumes this Saturday, 8/20 at 10:15. Sign up on Mindbody or download the CFF app.
We caught Gabby before she headed out to Colorado and New Mexico for vacation and asked her a few questions to get to know her better.
1. Where are you from? Born in Virginia, but grew up in Maryland.
2. Time(s) you normally work out at CFF? 9AM Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday
3. Accomplishment you are proud of (CrossFit or otherwise): making it through a workout 3x a week :)
4. Skill or movement you are working to perfect: All! I am new so it’s exciting to learn lifts, etc.
5. Favorite exercise/WOD: Murph (1/2 of course…)
6. What got you into CrossFit? Yoga!
7. Why do you do CrossFit? Because I feel stronger after every WOD. I always surprise myself.
8. Your occupation/what occupies the majority of your day? Teaching yoga!
9. What is your dream job? Owning my own yoga studio/wellness center.
10. What do you do to relax? Meditate, read, hike
11. Favorite place to vacation: Colorado
12. Favorite cheat food: French fries!
13. If you could be a character from a movie, who would it be and why? Dory from Finding Dory so I can live my life in the ocean singing “just keep swimming”.
14. What is playing on your music player right now? Probably anything from country to hip-hop
15. Hobbies/Activities: yoga, hiking, running
16. Any interesting/unique/special skills? I like to turn myself upside down a lot.
17. What is something we probably didn’t know about you? I lived in Guam for 3 years.
18. Any Pets? Yes, a cat named Brah-man
19. Favorite toy as a child: Barney stuffed animal
An Ode to a Super Woman
by Geoff Rand
She woke up early, at Amanda’s prodding,
heading to CrossFit Frederick for some 5AM WODing.
In the dark of morn, she began to ride,
faithful husband Chris, right there by her side.
But up ahead in the opposite lanes, two twisted trucks,
flames and smoke, people were surely were fu…… , uh messed up.
She jumped out and sprinted ahead,
hoping to help the injured and find no one dead.
Trying to get to the opposite lanes in her rush to aid,
she quickly hopped over the barricade.
She wasted no time, not even a smidge,
but in the dark, couldn’t see this was a bridge.
It took her a second, but she quickly found,
on the other side was an absence of ground.
Falling and falling, time seemed to have stopped,
it was later determined, 75 feet she had dropped.
As she glanced up to the blackened sky,
She was thankful for great friends and loving family, and was prepared to die.
Unable to see the bottom must have been such a fear,
but fortunately she hit water, breaking the fall with her rear.
She popped to the surface, gasping for air,
disoriented, but glad she was still there.
“Where the heck could she be?” said Chris, not yet dawning on him,
that his wife was far below, taking a swim.
But the ending was near to this morning of drama,
she was found, loaded up, and flown to Shock Trauma.
What would have killed anyone else ended up being just some bruising and cracks,
and when she’s healed up, we know she’ll be back.
I know a Super Woman, one who truly inspires,
who runs towards danger, not fearing heights, smoke or fires.
Her name is Angela and for her pain I weep,
but next time I ask, please look before you leap.
Stu has been a CrossFit Frederick member since November of 2012. We cornered him and told him he couldn't leave until he filled out this voluntary questionnaire. Thanks for your willingness to participate, Stu!
1. Where are you from? Reston, VA
2. Time(s) you normally work out at CFF? 9AM Monday-Friday
3. Accomplishment you are proud of (CrossFit or otherwise): becoming a qualified Engineer Officer in the U.S. Navy submarine force
4. Skill or movement you are working to perfect: handstand walk
5. Favorite exercise/WOD: ring muscle up, Angie (100 pull-ups, 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats for time)
6. What got you into CrossFit? A friend at work mentioned she was going to a CrossFit “Getting Started” class. I went online to find out what she was talking about and thought, “Wow, that sounds like fun!”
7. Why do you do CrossFit? CrossFit keeps me in fantastic shape without a huge time commitment. At the same time, it’s fun and the people I’ve met at CrossFit are so nice and friendly. It’s like being in a Rocky movie every time I workout.
8. Your occupation/what occupies the majority of your day? Electrical Engineer that does modifications on nuclear power plants.
9. What is your dream job? Shooting guard on an NBA franchise
10. What do you do to relax? Read, watch NBA basketball on TV
11. Favorite place to vacation: Costa Rica
12. Favorite cheat food: Chocolate chip cookies and cookie dough
13. If you could be a character from a movie, who would it be and why? I don’t know what the movie character was like, but the original literary Sherlock Holmes was a badass, both mentally and physically. I guess I wouldn’t mind him, minus the cocaine habit.
14. What is playing on your music player right now? Van Halen
15. Hobbies/Activities: cycling, surfing (real waves, not the internet!), pickup basketball
16. Any interesting/unique/special skills? I’m a ham radio operator and know Morse code
17. What is something we probably didn’t know about you? I’ve bicycled across the U.S. three times and around France once.
18. Any Pets? No pets, but I like cats.
19. Favorite toy as a child: Atari
20. What else is cool/interesting/different, etc. about you? I spent a lot of my 20’s underwater as an officer on a U.S. Navy nuclear submarine.