by Geoff Rand
I’m probably not blowing your mind by telling you the keys to being healthy and fit are a combination of hard work in the gym, getting sufficient rest/recovery, and fueling your body with quality food. The fuel part seems to be the hardest for me. I suffer from a condition known as I Hate F@#&ing Cooking, for which there is no cure. I did well on a Paleo Challenge a few years ago, but all the food prep was tough. With my schedule of varying shifts, it’s hard to find time to shop for and make meals, even if I didn’t mind cooking. Well, all my problems and excuses are about to be rendered null and void. Welcome, Power Supply.
What Is Power Supply?
Power Supply is a healthy prepared food delivery service. They source the ingredients and prepare them locally and focus on providing varied menus of food that is a fuel source, not a calorie deficit diet meal. You will not find any artificial ingredients, hormones, antibiotics, un-natural sugar, chemical additives, or other crap in their meals. Basically, if you shouldn’t be eating it, they don’t use it.
How it works
1. Choose a pickup spot (duh, CrossFit Frederick!) or home delivery.
2. Choose one of three eating styles, Paleo, Mixetarian (similar to Paleo, but with some less inflammatory types of grains, legumes, etc. added in), or Vegetarian.
3. Choose one of three portion sizes according to the calorie intake you desire.
4. Choose delivery time: early week, late week, or all week.
5. Choose breakfasts, lunches, dinners, or all three. Power Supply posts their future weekly meal plans in advance. You can choose to get their menu as is, or substitute meals if you find something you’re not particularly fond of. You can also add in soups and snack bars for even more variety.
6. Your order is dropped off to the Power Supply fridge at CFF or other pick up site with your name on it. You then take it home, open the package, and put it in your mouth.
That’s pretty much it. You decide if you want a one-time order, or if you want to make it recurring (at a discounted rate). Meals are delivered once or twice weekly, depending on the number of meals per week you select. You are not locked into a contract; you can pause, resume, terminate, or modify your choice of service at any time. You don’t even need to be a CFF member to use it, and if for some reason a different site is more convenient for you, there are pick up locations all over the DC metro area.
Pricing is $9.50, $12.50, or $15.50 per meal for each meal size, respectively. These prices reflect the 5% discount if you select recurring order. Individual order pricing is 5% more.
Not sold on it yet? Have more questions? On Tuesday, June 14th, a rep from Power Supply will be at the Box. They will be doing the 5PM WOD with us, and then staying on at 6PM with free sample tastings of their foods and will be able to answer your questions. They will also have coupons for a free first meal from them. They will add CFF as a delivery location on June 10th, with orders shipping here starting the week of June 20th.
Power Supply is an easy and convenient method to supplement what you already may be doing, or it could be a way to get you back on track to eating right. Or, simply use it as a way to free up some time in your busy schedule. Whatever your reason, we hope you enjoy this new service.