1. Where are you from? Stettler, Alberta, Canada
2. Time you normally work out at CFF: 8:00AM
3. Accomplishment you are proud of: Spartan Races, travel
4. Skill or movement you are working to perfect: Hanging muscle up
5. Favorite exercise/WOD: I like them all. If I had to pick, legs.
6. What got you into CrossFit? I was bored with the gym. I tried the trainer route, but wanted something different, and I like Spartan Races, so I thought I would try CrossFit.
7. What is your “why”? Why do you do CrossFit? I want to gain upper body strength and compete in Spartan Races and I also want to master kite boarding.
8. What is your occupation? I own and am president of a construction company.
9. What is your dream job? What I do.
10. What do you do to relax? I snow ski, water ski, play with my daughter, and golf.
11. Favorite place to vacation and why: Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. My wife is from there.
12. Favorite cheat food: Chocolate cake
13. If you could be a character from a TV show or movie, who would it be and why? Tom Brady—he’s a sports figure, but the guy is a master of his craft, the ultimate professional, internally driven to be the very best.
14. What is playing on your music player right now? Airborne Toxic event, Imagine Dragons, Lumineers
15. Any hobbies/activities? In addition to #10 above, I play hockey and ride my Harley V-Rod.
16. What is something we probably didn’t know about you? I’m color blind, from Canada, and grew up on a 2,500 acre grain farm.
17. Any pets? I have a dog, a cat, and a fish.
18. Favorite toy as a child: motorbike
19. What is something you did as a child that got you in trouble? I was playing with fire with my cousin and nearly burnt the entire yard, barn, house, and machine shed down. My dad was really mad!
20. What cancelled TV show or movie would you like to see back on the air or a remake made of? Three’s Company, Gilligan’s Island, Cold Mountain
21. What else is cool/interesting/different about you? My dry jokes (my wife may not agree, haha)
22. Do you have a story of overcoming adversity that you’d like to share? In October of 2005 1 was in Guatemala when Hurricane Stan hit the country. As far as hurricanes go, it wasn't a huge hurricane but it was devastating, especially to a country with poor infrastructure. I was in a town called Malacatan, which was surrounded by rivers. The hurricane destroyed all the bridges except 1, which was so damaged you could only walk out. I knew it would be weeks before I would get out of that town so I abandoned all of my extra things I had and walked out of the town. Through a series of mud slides and road destruction it took me over a day of hiking to get to a road that wasn't destroyed. I made many new Guatemalan "friends" along the way who were pretty intrigued by this Gringo hiking in their 1/2 devastated country. Finally we got to where the road was not destroyed and I hitched a ride in the back of a pickup truck to take me to Guatemala City. I spent 8 hours at night in the back of a pick up and finally made it to Guatemala City. It was definitely an adventure that was sad to see many people who suffered but was a pretty amazing obstacle to overcome and survive.
23. Tell us a funny incident that you experienced? I was waterskiing a few years ago and there was a whole group of people in the boat. As I came out of the water, I noticed them laughing but had no idea why. Eventually I figured out that somehow my swim trunks had ripped in two and had nearly come right off. Not sure if that was funny or embarrassing, but I'm starting to think it is funny now!